Thursday, March 11, 2010

Top 8 Guys: Guitar Heroes

After an ok, but less than spectacular showing from the girls on Tuesday, the guys took the stage with a mission: to prove that they are not the fodder that the blogosphere has reduced them to. This season of American Idol mirrors UNC's basketball season in a way. Last year, UNC won the NCAA National Championship and Idol had it's most memorable season to date with some of the most talented contestants we've seen on the show. This year, UNC has struggled mightily with a less talented squad, just as Idol has done of late. It's a rebuilding year for both squads, but the guys are here tonight to show that they have what it takes to rebound this year (hopefully UNC can follow their lead in the ACC tournament). With guitars in hand (5 of 8 had an acoustic), they aim to change the judges minds about this season being a "girls year." Do they measure up? Let's find out!

Lee Dewyze- "Fireflies" by Owl City

This is an interesting song choice for Lee. Interesting in a kind of good way. I was expecting him to come out with another 2nd rate version of a modern rock band hit, but I was pleasantly surprised when he went for the peppy "Fireflies." He switched it up a bit by adding the acoustic guitar, and it fit very nicely. His gravely tone gave the song a different feel, and while it was pitchy for most of the song (as are most of his performances), this was by far his most tolerable, in my opinion. I'm not sure I see the confidence increase that the judges are noticing in him, but he was a little more comfortable than last week. It wasn't a mind blowing performance by any means. It was merely ok, but I think that he did enough with it to keep him around. If he wants a shot of being a true contender, not just one that the judges shower with praises for no reason, he has to let go of the nerves and focus on what he's singing so that he doesn't loose his notes halfway through each phrase.

Alex Lambert- "Trouble" by Ray LaMontagne

The judges keep talking about it, but Alex really does have a cool tone to his voice. This was a good pick for him because it fit that raspy, muffled style well. He sang it well and seemed like he is settling into who he is as an artist. I think that the judges are giving him the best criticisms week in and week out, because he can actually take what they say and apply it to his performances. Randy says it was a tad too fast and Kara says that she wished that it would have just been him and a guitar. Combine those two and I think he could have had a moment on the stage. What I take away from this performance is that he still does have a ways to go in terms of loosening up, as Simon said, but his innocence and vulnerability keeps him relatable. I don't think we have to worry about him becoming a "cocky banana" as Ellen put it. :-/. And I really hope that Simon doesn't work it out so that Randy is in a bikini next week, should Alex return. That would haunt my dreams for forever.

Tim Urban- "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen/Jeff Buckley

When Ryan announced that Tim would be singing this song, I immediately got worried. It's a great song, but it's so overdone on Idol that people are not only comparing you to the original artist(s), but also to others who have graced the same stage with that tune and killed it. Jason Castro didn't have the best voice on season 7, but he slayed this song. Once Tim started singing it, I relaxed a bit. If it were any other contestant, it might have been less good than it seemed, but with the struggles that Tim has been having this season, this was a breath of fresh air for him. His voice was pleasing and suited the song well. His guitar playing wasn't shabby and he seemed comfortable singing it. This was the best performance from him by far. He stayed in his tessitura and didn't try to oversing it (I'm not sure if he has the skills needed to oversing any song). After Ellen ran to the stage to hug him, you could tell that he felt like he finally deserved to be on that stage. I'm liking Ellen more and more every week. Now that he has two serviceable performances under his belt, he needs to relax and find a way to change people's opinions of him as just the ok guy that is skating by based on looks alone.

Andrew Garcia- "Genie In a Bottle" by Christina Aguilera

Andrew Garcia. Song choice- you're doing it wrong. He is so far into his own head right now that I don't think he knows who he is as an artist anymore. Trying to replicate the magic that you experienced once by using the same formula on a different song rarely works. When I heard he was singing a Christina Aguilera song, I joked that it'd be hilarious if he did "Genie in a Bottle." And he did not disappoint. 1) The lyrics do not fit him in the slightest. A guy should not be singing those words. 2) This might have been the sloppiest vocal I've heard from him yet. Yes, he can still sing, but this was sub par for him. 3) He claims that he didn't want to force anything or overthink it, but I don't think he thought about it enough. Reverting back to the "Straight Up" formula came off as sheer desperation- an attempt to regain some of his fans that have jumped ship. Andrew has hit a wall and he could be in trouble this week. Does he have enough fans to carry him through 3 weeks of disappointing showings?

Casey James- "You'll Think of Me" by Keith Urban

Casey was a bit gimmicky last week with his shredding of the electric guitar and attempt at performing a pop song. It was good, but forced. This week, he takes it down a notch and plays with just an acoustic while sitting on a stool. Singing a country song, Casey sounded great. There were no truly amazing parts of the song, per se, but it was a very good rendition of a great song. He could really make it big as a country artist. He has the look, the voice, and instrumental skill to be a Brad Paisley type of singer. This was a smart pick because he is showing a more vulnerable side by doing a ballad and he is only increasing his reachable voting demographic. I think that many-a-country fan will be voting for Casey this week. He is a lock for the top 10, so there is nothing more to really say.

Aaron Kelly- "I'm Already There" by Lonestar

Speaking of country, Aaron Kelly is going back to his best genre after a so-so performance of "My Girl" last week. Sadly, his best genre is still not that great. This song is a smart pick for him, seeing as it fits his range and his voice should sound good on it. Key word: should. But it doesn't. He is extremely pitchy in his lower registry, he sounds like he is straining on some of the higher (not really that high) notes, and he sounds nasal most of the time. Throw in a couple of ill-advised, poorly sung runs and you get what he delivered on that stage. It is well known that I'm not a fan of his, but unlike Lee Dewyze, who at least tried to entertain me, Aaron remains at the bottom of my rankings. He is not a strong performer. Watching his movements and stage presence is like watching a really bad actor who thinks he's awesome. He even does his best impersonation of Billy Mack from Love actually when he sings (like he's sitting on an imaginary chair). I hope that America is tired of his incessant mediocrity and sends him home.

Todrick Hall- "Somebody to Love" by Queen

I'm indifferent about Todrick right now. He sings well enough and is entertaining, but there is something about him that I just can't grasp. He performs a Queen song and makes it somewhat gospel. It's decent, I suppose, but after watching it again, it was not quite as good as the judges made it out to be. There was a lack of energy to the song and it seemed like he only sang 3 notes the whole time. He also likes to oversing every phrase in every song, and that's something that gets old REALLY quick. This was a bit of a welcomed change from all of the slow, acoustic songs that we've had up to this point, but it just didn't do too much for me.

Michael Lynche- "This Woman's Work" by Maxwell

Michael Lynche has the pimp spot this week, which pretty much guarantees that he will be in the top 12. For safe measure though, he blows the doors off of this performance. Maxwell is no easy artist to sing, but Big Mike does it with relative ease. You can tell that this song is relevant to him, as he sings about his wife and family. The confidence that he portrays up there is unparalleled by any of the other contestants, male or female. The fact that he made Kara cry is also impressive. We used to joke on Paula for getting weepy at a lot of songs, but Kara usually is more reserved than that usually, and it seems like it would take something exceptionally moving to invoke that type of response. Simon hit the nail on the head. It's not only the best performance of the night, it's the best of the season. Mike is now the front runner after that performance.

Well, there you have it guys. I was very impressed with the guys tonight. With the first 5 singers choosing to accompany themselves on guitar, Ellen should have no problem differentiating that from a piano next time. There were only 2 performances that I didn't like on some level, though my critiques might suggest more. If it were up to me, I would send Aaron Kelly home without a second thought. The second spot is up for grabs right now. Todrick kind of got showed up by Big Mike at the end and I think that might hurt his votes. Andrew Garcia would be a shock to some if he went home, but not to me. As a friend of mine said, he is the new Lil' Rounds. He blew you away initially, but then became boring after doing the same thing time and time again. I think his fans will still pull him through this week, and Todrick will be on the outside looking in. Aaron and Todrick are my final predictions.

What do you guys think? Are the guys improving and showing that they can win over the girls this season?

Until next time...

Your American Idol Junkie,

Billy

2 comments:

Laurie said...

My picks to go home tonight are similar to yours:

Paige - She didn't even smile while singing about smiling and has experienced some very poor song choices.

Katie - I like her and I like her voice, but her performance and song choices have not been good. While others like Lacey showed improvement this week, Katie did not.

Aaron - I agree with Billy - he acts like he is a more awesome performer than he is. When he sings I can't help but feel like he should be on a Disney Channel show like Hannah Montana.

Andrew - For me, his performances have been weird for the past three weeks. It was just wrong for him to be singing, "I'm a genie in a bottle, baby."

I hope Lacey and Toddrick stay. They both showed potential and improvement this week, where the four I'm suggesting did not. I don't know that America will necessarily agree with me, but here's to hoping.

By the way, Simon nailed it with his comments about Toddrick. While he was singing I thought it seemed a bit "Broadway." But hey, I love Broadway, so maybe that's why I like Toddrick. He's been in musicals his whole life, so he probably feels most comfortable in that vibe.

Adam & Melissa Hoffman said...

Mr. Hoffman, I just want to say thank you. I dont have a TV and I LOVE american Idol. So now, I read your blog and watch the songs on youtube. It is the perfect substitute. Your amazing.
Melissa