Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Top 10: Song Predictions

This week is Soul/R&B Week in Idol Land, and I can't remember a group of contestants that lacked so much in this category. It should be an interesting show, for sure. Let's hope that it is better than last weeks horrendous outing.

On to the predictions!

Aaron Kelly- Brian McKnight "Back At One"

In keeping with his tradition of choosing mid-tempo to slow songs that have been covered by a country artist, I expect Aaron to pick this song and do reasonably well with it. Mark Willis had a hit with his version of this song, and since Aaron does not have an R&B/Soul voice in the slightest, I think he should play this week safe and do a song he knows he can handle. He has no fear of going home this week, sadly, but he needs to just do what he can to survive. This song is gift wrapped with a bow for him to pick, but I could also see him completing his love for cheesy songs like "My Girl" with "Stand By Me."

Andrew Garcia- Rihanna "Umbrella" or Neyo "Because of You"

Ok, Andrew is in trouble this week if the judges slam him again. He's tried to get out of "Straight Up's" shadow for weeks now by doing different things, but they have all failed miserably. My suggestion is to go back to the basics and try what made you known again. It did work for the Fallout Boy song, but it has been proven with these two songs to work. All he has to do is YouTube Boyce Avenue's covers of either of these songs and copy. At this point, his pride should be out the window and he should just worry about gaining voters. Both of these songs would be good picks for him and he would sound good on them. "Umbrella" is the obvious choice by most people, but we will see if he tries to switch it up on us. Sadly, it'd probably be safer for him to not surprise us and play what everyone wants him to play.

Casey James- Sam and Dave "Soul Man" or Otis Redding "I've Been Loving You Too Long"

Casey is a lock this week, so he doesn't have to try to outdo himself this week. I think that he would sound good on "Soul Man" with a little blues guitar thrown in. There isn't much R&B/Soul that fits his style, really, but this would be the closest thing in his range. If he wanted to be daring and try and showcase his vocals in a way that we haven't seen as of yet, he could do "I've Been Loving You Too Long." This is a song that seems out of his range, but if he could make it work it might prove to be a rewarding gamble to help his stock in the competition.

Crystal Bowersox- Toni Braxton "Un-break My Heart" or Aretha Franklin "Respect"

I will suggest "Un-Break My Heart" again this week, because I think that she would kill it, but my gut is telling me that she won't pick it. She has a "surprise for us" this week, and I don't know what that means, but I'm hoping that she can bring a different aspect of herself to her performances. I think she is going guitar-less tonight, so that is a plus. She has killed Aretha before, so I wouldn't be surprised if she dipped back into that bag. She is one of only two girls who could do this song justice. Whatever it is, she is obviously safe.

Didi Benami- Smokey Robinson & the Miracles "The Tears of a Clown" or Mary Wells "My Guy"

Didi does not have a soul voice. We saw how she did with "Lean on Me," and it was sans soul the entire time. I think she could do one of these songs well because they aren't SO soulful that she couldn't manage a version of them. "Tears" would be good because she is a basket case and cries all the time, so she could related to it, and "My Guy" would be good because it has that bright, sunny vocal rather than the deep, rich tone that most of the other songs have. That style would suit her better.

Katie Stevens- Monica "For You I Will" or The Temptations "Ain't Too Proud to Beg"

She's been saying that she wants to be a pop/R&B artist, so this is Katie's chance to show us what she's got. I can hear her sounding very good on a Monica song, but I can also see her having more fun then she's been having lately with "Ain't Too Proud to Beg." I'm hoping she goes with the later and loosens up a little more. She's got the voice to do well, but she just has to bring everything else into focus, because right now, she has no shot at the top 5.

Lee Dewyze- Ray Charles "Georgia on My Mind"

This song wasn't picked for him because I think he could sing it amazingly and completely change my opinion of him. It was chosen because of the tone of Ray Charles' voice and how it would be the only tone that Lee might be able to pull off. That gravely, raspy quality to his voice would be ok on this song, but it wouldn't beat Matt Giraud's version that he did in Hollywood week last year. Lee is out of his element for sure this week, but as long as the judges keep stroking his ego week in and week out, he will remain on the show. They should really start giving him some criticism that he can use...

Michael Lynche- The Four Tops "Baby, I Need Your Loving" or James Brown "I Got You (I Feel Good)"

Big Mike did a ballad last week, so expect him to liven things up a little. I can see him bouncing around the stage on either of these songs. He is a high-octane, confident performer, and if anyone could pull of James Brown, it would be him. He sits in the same boat as Casey and Crystral right now- obviously safe.

Siobhan Magnus- Aretha Franklin "Chain of Fools" or The Supremes "Where Did Our Love Go"

Siobhan wants to get away from having to do the high note every week (or at least the judges think she should), but she needs to do whatever will get her votes. Sometimes, that means screaming like a banshee. She has also done an Aretha song before, so we know the range and power are there to handle that order, but if she decides to go a more mellow route, she can do a haunting version of this Supreme's song. She is the last of the "Obviously Safes."

Tim Urban- Jimmy Ruffin "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" or Otis Redding "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay"

Poor Tim. He will have his hands full this week, seeing that of all the contestants, he has the least amount of soul. He has the whitest voice in the competition, so he is just praying that he can connect with a ballad like "What Becomes" or play a crowd favorite like "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay." He was in the bottom 2 last week, so unless he comes out of no where with crazy vocals, he will probably be there again this week, and with a serious shot of going home.

We'll see how these contestants can handle this theme, but I feel like we are going to get a rerun of last week- a few who shine and a lot that don't.

Until next time...

Your American Idol Junkie,

Billy

1 comment:

Brent Woodcox said...

I think I might have to cast my first vote ever next week for Tim Urban. Because the only thing that interests me about this season is that VFTW has kept this cat in the competition this long. Tim FTW!